Friday, April 6, 2007

Backyard Wildlife:::

I am looking out the window as I write this:
Still, still life. There were white snowflakes whirling onto rooftops. So slowly, calmly, lightly. A furry dark brown squirrel scurries across the narrow top of a wooden fence. Suddenly it jumps into my backyard and examines the dead plants. It sees a tall 3 meter plant. It looks at it up and down, down and up. The squirrel finally sees its goal: a little acorn at the top of the highest branch.
With one powerful leap, he chases all the birds swooping around the plant, then leaps onto a branch. The branch tilts, as it were going to break in half. It jumps onto a higher branch, eyes locked onto the acorn. Higher and higher the puny squirrel climbs. I could practically see its face glowing. By the time it reaches the very top of the plant, it reaches for the acorn. Suddenly the little aquirrel meets its doom. The whole plant creaked, then tipped over with a cr-r-a-a-ck! The squirrel fell from the plant, and could not move for a minute. I was shocked. Did the poor creature die? The acorn tumbled away to a patch of grass. Suddenly the squirrel comes back to his senses. It scurries after the acorn, sniffing, with its left leg limping. I feel so sorry for that squirrel. It runs away, dissapearing over a wooden fence.
My dad enters the backyard, shicked to see the plant lying on the ground. A bird chirps loudly. My dad shouts. The excitement is over.
Now the snow has stopped a little more, but the wind blew more powerfully. My dad went in. Beyond the fence, I could see a little furry dark brown creature holding what seemed like an acorn. I smiled. The squirrel ran away.

No comments: